Department of English has been established in (2013-2014) to develop Literary and Linguistic knowledge and elevate the professionals, literary men, and Linguists throughout Iraq. It delivers courses leading to B.A. Degree. The Department programs work for preparing Linguists and Literary Men whom are professionally motivated and committed to achieve all the required objectives. This department consists of four academic years of study, and each academic year is approximately thirty weeks which are divided by two study courses that is taught in English Language. The teaching strategies cover teaching sessions and students centered course works. One of the requirements of graduation is fulfilling 145 credit units.
By teaching English in this department, the students will be able to acquire new terminologies and words relating to their department. In the same way the students will be able to practice some English patterns which they have already learned before. Because most of the departments the medium is in English, as an English department, we reinforce the students ability in their speaking, Grammar, pronunciation, and literature in English.
English is now needed to have a job in every field of life, so the students should be able to learn English to have their job in anywhere they want as a teacher or a translator in companies or firms. So, it’s necessary to teach the students the English that they need in daily life as well as their specialization.
Aims and Assessment of Graduates
- The ability to have knowledge about literature
- The ability of controlling grammar
- The ability of speaking English in a good way and communication
- Practicing their English in the class period as well as their text books
- The ability of how to use the dictionary
- The ability to express themselves freely
- Offering quality instruction in English language and literature to all students who join the Departments
- Establishing productive interaction with other departments and institutes at home and abroad
- Preparing its graduates to occupy respectable and fruitful positions in the market
- Establishing fruitful relations with the local community, with a view to providing linguistic and other types of help
- Enabling students to master the four basic language skills in the context of varied functions of communication and genres of language use.
- Training students to carry out critical analyses of linguistic and literary texts and to place them in their historical, philosophical, cultural, social, and global context.
- Providing students with a solid knowledge and understanding of English prose, poetry, fiction, and drama.
- Helping students acquire a sound understanding of major schools of language analysis and literary criticism.
- Training students in doing academic research in accordance with standard research methodology with emphasis on creativity, and integrity.
- Preparing students for more advanced study.
- Helping students understand and relate to other cultures through analysis, critique, agreement and / or dissent.
- Preparing students for employment in a competitive global market.
- Developing the student’s transferable, practical, and professional skills necessary for further study, and for success in their future careers.
- Providing them with the tools of accessing knowledge in their field of interest. Recruiting highly qualified faculty members who are dedicated to excellence in teaching and research.
- Be a competent user of the English language, both in its spoken and written forms. He/she will be able to communicate effectively with native speakers and other users of English.
- Demonstrate knowledge of concepts, modes of analysis, and theoretical frameworks in phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, etc. His/her knowledge of linguistics will provide him/her with a practical understanding of language and how it works in actual use.
- Be equipped with a range of transferable skills, communicative, representational, and intellectual (cognitive and analytical) skills.
- Have some insight into the historical development of the English language.
- Have a fair understanding of the linguistic differences between Arabic and English, which will have a direct bearing on practical skills, such as translation and interpretation.
- Possess a fair familiarity with English literature, including some knowledge of a wide range of genres, such as poetry, fiction and drama.
- Have enough competence in English to pursue study in many fields of knowledge.
- Have a fair knowledge of Western culture to help others, whether from the West or the Middle East, to communicate effectively.
- Have the ability to conduct research in English.
|Name||Scientific Degree||Scientific Title||Specialization||CV|
|Dr. Wirya Ahmed Ameen||PHD||lecturer||English languages|
|Pola Tahseen Mohammad||Master||Assistant Lecturer||English languages|
|Mohammad Jumaa Kiyani||Master||Assistant Lecturer||English languages|
|Arazoo Jabar Ameen||Master||Assistant Lecturer||English languages/Art|
|Farah Nusaif Jasim||Master||Assistant Lecturer||English languages/Art|
|Mohammad Talal Younis||Master||Assistant Lecturer||English languages|
|Dr.Abaas Fadhil Lutfi||PHD||Assistant Professor||English languages|
|Zhiyar Sarkoot Abdalsamad||Master||Assistant Lecturer||English languages/Art|
|Dr.Ibrahim Khalil Abdalbaqi||PHD||Assistant Professor||Frensh languages|
|Dr.Sirwan Jabar Ameen||PHD||Assistant Professor||Kurdish languages|
|Bikhtiyar Ahmed Mahmood||Master||Assistant Lecturer||Kurdish languages|
|Hakar Taha Khalid||Master||Assistant Lecturer||English languages|
|Dalkhosh Jarallah||PHD||Professor||Arabic Languages|